These are the remains of a sixteenth century tower house. There is evidence of other buildings on the site in addition to the L-shaped tower house and courtyard. Carsluith is thought to have originally been built as a simple oblong tower a century earlier. The lairds of Carsluith in the 15th century were members of the Cairns family. In 1506 the lands passed to the Lindsays of Fairgirth through marraige, and later to the Brouns from New Abbey. The house was converted in 1568 into the one we now see. Carsluith remained in the Broun family until 1748, when it was sold out to the Johnstons.
This is an easy site to get as it stands next to the main road from Stranraer (Scottish Gaelic: An t-Sròn Reamhar) to Dumfries (Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Phris). It is an attractive building with substantial remains and admision is free. It is worth stopping off here and when we visited we were impressed by some of buildings features. Look out for the waterspout on the south-west corner of the building it is carved as a human face.
The site is located to the west from Cardoness Castle close to the A75 overlooking Wigtown Bay in Dumfries and Galloway (Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Phrìs is Gall-Ghaidhealaibh).