Castle of St John

Castle of St John

This is an L-shaped tower house dating from the early sixteenth century and built in 1510 by the powerful local family the Adairs of Kilhilt. Over the years it had been used as family home, court, military garrison and prison and now after refurbishment in the 1980's it is a museum. There are videos and reconstructions of the building which is open to the public Tuesday to Saturday between 28th May until 24 September. It is an interesting place to visit and located in the centre of Stranraer. Well worth a visit and we found the exhibits in this well run castle very interesting. There is no shortage of shops and places to eat very close to the castle. We can vouch for the fish and chip shop nearby!

The name Stranraer comes from the Gaelic An t-sron Reamhar. The town really grew from the fifteenth century onwards into the busy market town and port that it is today. From the top of the Castle of St John looking north is Loch Ryan and these waters were known to the Roman's as Rerigonious Sinus. According to a medieval Welsh poem one of King Arthur's courts was located in the Loch Ryan area.

Getting there

It is located in Charlotte Street in the town of Stranraer/An t-Sron Reamhar in Dumfries and Galloway/Dùn Phrìs is Gall-Ghaidhealaibh

Castle of St John 3
Castle of St John 5
Castle of St John 6
Castle of St John 7
Castle of St John 9
Castle of St John 10
Castle of St John 11
Castle of St John 12

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: