Places to visit

Dublin - Baile Átha Cliath

Hapenny Bridge Dublin

We suggest that you start your journey through Ireland in its capital city, Dublin (Baile Átha Cliath). The name Dublin derives from the Irish name Dubh Linn (black pool). The city grew from a Viking settlement on the River Liffey.

Maynooth Castle - Caisleán Maigh Nuad

This is an early thirteenth century castle in the town of Maynooth (Maigh Nuad) in County Kildare in Leinster. It was home to the Fitzgerald family until it fell to English forces after the 'Silken Thomas' rebellion, and the entire defensive garrison was killed in 1535. Silken Thomas refers to Thomas Fitzgerald 10th Earl of Kildare who was executed in London in 1537.

Croghan Hill - Cruachán Bri Eile

The site was first used in Neolithic times, dating back to around 2000BC. There are a number of burial mounds within and around the site of a fort. The fort is circular with four embankments and ditches, which was further secured by its location in an area of bog land. The remains of 'Old Croghan Man', a well preserved Iron Age bog body who is believed to have died (possibly as a sacrifice) between 362 and 175 BC, was found in a bog close by. The remains are in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin.

Dún Naas

Dún Naas was a fortification associated with Luighdech Eithlenn, King of Leinster. It was built in 140 AD on the location of a previous fortification and was itself subsequently destroyed and rebuilt by Princess Tailtinn.

The site now consists of two north and south earthwork motes (earthwork mounds) the largest one remaining at the north.

Craddocks Town West Standing Stone

The stone stands about five meters high and has a pronounced lean towards the west.

Dún Ailinne

This is the largest hillfort in Ireland and dates from the Neolithic period. A low embankment encloses an area of over thirty four acres and the site is thought to have fulfilled a ritual and ceremonial purpose rather than residential. Within the enclosure is some archaeological evidence of a small group of structures.

Athgreany Stone Circle

This is a stone circle, which is also known as the Piper's Stones, and consists of some fourteen stones.

Glendalough Cross and Deer Stone

Glendalough Cross and Deer Stone

This is an early Christian site in the area of the monastery of Glen da Loch which dates from the sixth century. On the site is the conical shaped Deer Stone, the high cross of St Kevin standing about eleven feet in height from the tenth to eleventh century, a thirty metre high round tower from the same period, and the remains of the Cathedral and Church.

Avondale House and Forest Park

Avondale House and Forest Park

Avondale House is the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell (1846-1891), who was the Irish nationalist political founder and leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party. He died at the age of 45 years after a heart attack and his funeral at Glasnevin Cemetery drew a crowd of 200,000 people. The house at Avondale was built in 1777 and set in the 500 acre Avondale Park. The house is open to the public from Easter until 31 October.

Haroldstown Portal Tomb

This is a Portal Tomb, which comprises of two roof stones on supporting uprights reaching to about 1.8 metres in height.

Pages

Subscribe to Places to visit