Places to visit

Doon Fort - Drumboghill

This stone fort, dating back to 3000BC, has walls standing about four and half metres high in places and 3.6 metres thick at the base. Within the fort are steps terraces and passages.

Glenveagh Castle - Caisleán Ghleann Bheatha

This was built between 1870 and 1873 and is located in the spectacular scenery of Glenveagh National Park/ Páirc Naisiúnta Gleann Bheatha in County Donegal. The American owner of the estate, Mr Henry McIlhenny sold it to the Irish Government in 1975 and subsequently presented the castle and gardens as a gift to the Irish Nation in 1981. The castle and grounds are open to the public and there is a visitors centre providing information.

Doe Castle - Caisleán na dTuath

This is a castle built in the sixteenth century with a central tower surrounded by defensive wall and overlooking the sea on three sides. It was the seat of the Clan Suihbne and where Owen Roe O'Neil landed to lead the Irish rebellion in 1642.

Grianan of Ailech

This is a stone fort dating back to the sixth of seventh century which has had significant reconstruction. The walls now stand at about five metres in height and four and a half metres thick in places, which is higher than originally. Within the structure are the remains of terraces and stairs and galleries.

Bocan Stone Circle

The site has the remains of a ring cairn with seven large stones still standing and two bigger stones marking the entrance.

Ardmore Muff Stone

This standing stone is over two metres high and rectangular with ring and cup marks.

Beltany Stone Circle

To the southwest of the Ulster city of Derry in County of Donegal, near the town of Raphoe, is a Neolithic Celtic monument known as the Beltany Stone Circle.  The Beltany Stone Circle is estimated to have been constructed approximately 5000 years ago based on recent archeological research funded by the Irish Heritage Council.  Dating Beltany from about 3000 BC makes this monument older than Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids (some published sources conversely date the construction of the stone circle at between 1300 and 800 BC).

This is a Neolithic stone circle of about 147 feet in diameter made up of in excess of sixty remaining stones. The name is linked to the Celtic Beltane fire and fertility festival and the site is thought to date to about 2000BC.

Castle Coole - Caisleán Cúil

This mansion was built in the late eighteenth century for Armar Lowry-Corry and his descendant the seventh Earl Belmore sold it to the National Trust who own and manage the property. The neo classical Georgian style house is open to the public between March and September and is set in a large wooded landscape park which is open throughout the year. The house is in Enniskillen/Inis Ceithleann in County Fermanagh.

Florence Court

This is owned and managed by the National Trust and is a large eighteenth century house and estate. The house is noted for it's decoration and interiors and is set in parkland in the foothills of the Cuilcach Mountains.

Crom Castle - Caisleán na Croime

Crom Castle is a relatively recent Victorian structure; however, the site is also home to the ruins of a much old castle tower house. Whilst Crom Castle itself is not open to the public, the grounds, which are called Crom desmesne and managed by National Trust for Ireland, are open from March until the end of October. Crom demesne is a nature conservation area covering about 810 hectares. It is an area of outstanding beauty with boats for hire, woodland walks and nature trails and guided walks that include the old ruined castle. 


Subscribe to Places to visit