Places to visit

Ardmore Ogham Stone

These two fifth century Ogham stones are in the remains of St Declan's Cathedral. St Declan lived in the late fourth and early fifth centuries. On the west of the site is a twelfth century round tower of about one hundred feet in height. The two Ogham stones have inscriptions; the one standing at about four feet high is in an arch shaped niche in the choir and the script is a dedication to 'Lugaid' and the other in the northwest corner stands taller and translates 'the beloved'.

Labbacallee Wedge Tomb

This is the largest Irish Wedge Tomb consisting of three very large capstones with a big rectangular chamber with a smaller one behind a slab. The walls are very thick with a capstone sloping downwards at the back. In front there is a large rectangular antechamber.

Blarney Dolmen Portal Tomb

It has the remains of a portal tomb and is in the grounds of Blarney Castle.

Blarney Castle - Caisleán na Bhlarnan

Blarney Castle - Caisleán na Bhlarnan

Blarney Castle (Irish: Caisleán na Blarnan) is the historic seat of the The Muskerry McCarthy's a branch of the MacCarthy Mor dynasty. There have been previous castles on this site dating back to the tenth century. In the early thirteenth century the previous wooden structures were replaced by stone. In 1446 the third castle was built by Dermot McCarthy, King of Munster and the keep of this building remains standing.The castle is the site of the 'Stone of Eloquence' known as 'The Blarney Stone' which is traditionally kissed by visitors. The castle is open to the public all year round.

Glantane Tomb and Stones

Glantane East Wedge Tomb

This is a small wedge tomb made up of a capstone supported by two side and a backstone with a further smaller one standing between the sides. Going west from Blarney join the R618 to Macroom. The site if off the R582 at Glantane going north from Macroom towards Millstreet. It is located on the northwest upper slopes of Musherabeg Mountain.

Millstreet Country Park

Millstreet Country Park and Restaurant in County Cork is well worth visiting. Open daily from April to October the museum has themed gardens, a deer farm, water features, restaurant facilities, walks, flora and fauna and features the archaeology and history of the area. The archaeological sites include a Bronze Age Stone Circle and Stone Alignment and Fullaght Faidh with descriptions and examples of life in the Bronze Age. The site covers an area of 500 acres and stands 600 to 1265 feet above sea level.

Knocknakilla Stone Circle

This is made up of five stones and a standing stone reaching over 3.6 meters in height which was one of two erect stones.

Lough Gur

Lough Gur/Loch Gair Neolithic Settlement

Here are the remains of a Neolithic settlement which is located on the Knockadoon headland at the north of Lough Gur west of the R512 and southeast east of the R514 and west from Knockroe in County Limerick.

Rock of Cashel - Carraig Phádraig

This is the traditional seat of the kings of Munster and reputedly the place where the Kings of Munster were converted to Christianity by St Patrick in the fifth century. Although the site was the seat of the kings for hundreds of years before the Norman invasion, most of the remains date from the twelfth and thirteenth century. Earlier buildings on the site include the late eleventh-early twelfth century round tower and chapel of King Cormac Mac Carthaigh. The castle is open to the public.

King John's Castle

This is a thirteenth century castle located in the City of Limerick/Luimneach and is on King's Island overlooking the River Shannon. Also on the island is St Mary's Cathedral which is over 800 years old. The castle is open to the public and has exhibitions of the history of the site.


Subscribe to Places to visit