Aberystwyth Castle - Castell Aberystwyth

The ruins of this thirteenth century castle are on a promontory at the south end of the promenade overlooking the harbour. It was captured by the Welsh in the late thirteenth century when still under construction, recaptured and then building completed. Owain Glynd?r took the castle in 1406 and held it for two years. Aberystwith Castle also saw action in the Civil War until overrun by Parliamentary forces. The castle's layout is clearly seen today with ringwalls, corner towers and gatehouses. The site is situated overlooking the harbour at the south end of the Aberystwyth promenade and the seaside town is on the A487 and A44.

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: