Thurso Castle

This a mid-seventeenth century tower house located on the site of a previous twelfth century earthwork fortress founded by the Norse Earls. The site is in Thurso East, off Castletown Road. The remains of the house are now roofless.

Old St Peter's Kirk-a ruined twelfth century church with the remains being predominantly of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The site is located in the Thurso/Inbhir Theorsa.

Castle of Mey-this sixteenth century castle had a number of alterations in the early nineteenth century. It was bought by Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in 1952 who renovated and restored it and created the attractive gardens seen today. The castle and Gardens of Mey is open to the public from the 1st April to 30th September from 9am to 4.30pm. The castle is about fifteen miles east from Thurso on the coast and about six miles west of John o' Groats.

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: