Cilgerran Castle - Castell Cilgerran

Cilgerran Castle overlooks the River Teifi and has swopped between Welsh and English hands a number of times. First erected as a citadel of the Lordship of Emlyn in about 1092. Rebuilt early in the twelfth century by Gilbert De Clare. It was captured in 1165 by Lord Rhys Prince of Wales. Then it was seized by William Marshall Earl of Pembroke in 1204 and retaken by Prince Llewellyn ap Iorwerth in 1213. William Marshall the younger recovered Cilgerran and built a new castle in 1223  with the addition of drum towers. These are the ruins that can be seen today.

It is an interesting place to visit with wonderful views over the Teifi Gorge. It is clear to see why it has inspired artists over the years, including J.M.W. Turner. The site is about a mile and a half from the A478 about four miles south east of Cardigan next to the market town of Cilgerrin.

Castell Cilgerran 5
Castell Cilgerran 8
Castell Cilgerran 7
Castell Cilgerran 10
Castell Cilgerran 11
Castell Cilgerran 15
Castell Cilgerran 18
Castell Cilgerran 19
Castell Cilgerran 21
Castell Cilgerran 22
Castell Cilgerran 23
Castell Cilgerran 24
Castell Cilgerran 3
Castell Cilgerran 26

Celtic nation:

Itinerary:

Place type: