This castle is located within Cardiff city centre and is built on a site used by both Romans and Normans and within a Norman Wall. The Norman Keep, of which the shell remains, was constructed in about 1091. The medieval castle was heavily renovated by the 3rd Marquess of Bute in the nineteenth century. Architect William Burges was employed to help transform the building in a fantastic gothic revival style. The fifteenth century great hall is the oldest room in the castle.