Places to visit

Ballyglass Court Tomb

This is a 27 metre long tomb with a long central court with a twin chambered gallery at each end.

Ballymote Castle - Caisleán Bhaile an Mhóta

This is a castle built by Richard de Burgh in 1300. The walls are some ten feet thick and it has six towers. The castle is located at Ballymote/Bail an Mhota off the R296 in County Sligo.

Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery

Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery contains some thirty visible tombs out of sixty identified by archaeologists. This makes it the largest megalithic tomb cemetery in Ireland. There is some controversy about the age of the site but it is thought to date back to five and half and six and a half thousand years. There is a restored cottage on the site which has an exhibition and information about the cemetery and is open from late April to mid-October.

Parke's Castle

This castle was built in 1610 on the site of a previous fifteenth century castle and kept the bawn (defensive wall) of that building. Within the walls with it's round towers is a three story manor house.

Creevykeel Court Tomb

This is a large and impressive court tomb and a good example of it's type, consisting of a cairn of about 55 metres enclosing an oval court and two burial chambers. To the west are the remains of three single chambered tombs. Archaeology from the site has uncovered Neolithic and Early Bronze Age pottery and other artefacts.

Donegal Castle - Caisleán Dhún na nGall

Donegal Castle is a fifteenth century castle and traditionally home of the O'Donnells whose leaders left Ireland in 1607 during the Flight of the Earls. The castle had substantial additions in the seventeenth century. It is now open to the public.

Dún Alt Promontory Fort

This is situated above An Tra Bhan Beach in County Donegal and is the remains of a stone fort constructed in around 300BC by Celts.

Cloghan More Court Tomb

This large megalithic tomb about 130 feet in length has twin galleries with one covered by a large capstone.

Glencolmcille - Gleann Cholm Cille Folk Village Museum

This collection of thatched cottages lets you experience life as it was lived in this part of rural Ireland in the 1700's,1800's and 1900's. The village was founded in 1967 by Father James McDyer and is open from Easter Sunday until the end of September.

Kilclooney More Portal Tomb II

There are two Portal Tomb's on this site. The larger one has a large roofstone supported at an angle by two portal stones about 1.8 metres in height. There is a backstone and another stone on top supporting the roofstone. The other smaller tomb is at the other end of the same cairn.

Pages

Subscribe to Places to visit