The stone castle, first constructed on the site in 1213, replaced an earlier wooden structure. The castle was square with towers at each corner and three of these still remain. The Butler family bought the castle in 1391 and lived there until 1935. In 1967 the castle was given to the Nation and the castle and grounds are now open to the public.
This is in the City of Kilkenny/Cill Chainnaigh in County Kilkenny and is south from Carlow along the M9 and off Junction 8.