St Piran’s Chapel & Well, Trethevy

St Piran's Chapel and Well

Cornwall has often been referred to as the ‘Land of the Saints’. The late artist John Miller’s great painting displayed in Truro Cathedral is indeed entitled ‘Cornubia – Land of the Saints’ and shows the Duchy bathed beneath a heavenly light.

One such Saint who arrived on our northern shores around 490AD was Piran, the patron of tinners and now of all Cornwall. The legend is that he floated across from Ireland upon a millstone.

His emblem, the white cross on a black background has become recognised as the Cornish flag and he is widely celebrated on 5th March annually, his feast day.

Although his main connections appear to be in the west of Cornwall, he is also remembered in the village of Trethevy close to Tintagel where there is a well and chapel dedicated to him.

Here can be found a medieval chapel possibly standing upon a 6th Century monastic settlement, which has also served as a barn. History reports that a Vicar of Tintagel called Gregory held mass in the building in 1457. During the subsequent bloodthirsty reformation, the building became a shelter for cattle.

The building still has an original window and stone seating. A stone coffin was found in July 1944 by Father Edward Arundell, vicar of Tintagel. The body was buried with the feet towards the west suggesting that it may have been that of a priest. A local story says that the body was of Piran himself. It was reburied.

In 1941, the then owner Sidney Harris restored the building to the church and it was renovated. Sadly, on 8th February 1945, on the day set for the first mass, Mr. Harris passed away.

Near to the ancient building and across the path which leads to Nectan’s Kieve (Cuva Nathan meaning Nathan's tub), is a well dedicated to Piran. The well is covered with a mid twentieth century slate beehive and is topped with an iron cross.

Chapel ha Fenten Pyran, Tredhewy 

Yn-fenough Kernow re be devynnys kepar del ‘Tyr a’n Sens’.An pentyans mur gans John Miller an lymner, marow adhewedhes , dysquedhys in Peneglos Truru yw hynwys ‘Cornubia – Tyr a’n Sens’ ha show an ducheth splannes yndan golow nevek.

San avello ef nep a dheth wae agan costys a’n North adro dhe’n vledhen agan Arluth 490 o Pyran an Sans Tasek a stenoryon ha lemmyn a Gernow oll. An hen-wedhel yw y nyjas-ef adrus dhyworth Ywerdhon war ven-melyn.

Y arweth, an crows wyn war gylva dhu re be ha mos aswonys avel Baner Kernow, hag ef a golyas ales Pympes Mys Merth pup vledhen oll, y dhegol.

Kyn dysqua y unyans mur bos yn Kernow a’n West, ef yu perthys cof y’n dreveglos a Drethewy ogas dhe Drewarvenedh, py plas yma fenten ha chapel sacrys dhodho.

Omma a yl bos kefys chapel a’n osow cres, drehevys martesen, trevesygeth meneghek whegves cans vledhen, py re servyas del avel skyber ynweth. Ystory a dheryf Vycar a Drewarvenedh, Gregory y hanow,  canas oferen y’n Drehevyans yn 1457. Dres an Reformacyon gosek warlergh an byldyans eth ha bos goscovva gwarthek.

Yma dhe’n drehevyans whath fenester gwredhek ha esedhow menek. Kyst ven o kefys yn Mys Gortheren 1944 gans an Tas Edward Arundell, Vycar a Drewarvenedh. An corf o bedhys gans y  deudros troha’n Howlsedhas ow cusulya ef re be Pronter. Whethel a’n le a lever an corf o Pyran y honen. Ef o dasvedhys.

Yn 1941 an perhen a dhedhyow-na, Sidney Harris y hanow, a restoryas an byldyans dhen’n eglos hag ef o nowethhes. Mr.Harris a verwys yn tryst 8ves Mys Whevrer 1945 an deth desedhys rak an kensa oferen.

Ogas dhe’n hendhrehevyans hag adrus an forth dhe cuva Nathan (St.Nectan’s Kieve) yma fenten sacrys dhe Pyran. An venten yw cudhys gans cowel gwenyn leghen cres Ugansves cansvledhen ha fedhys gan crows horn.